Saturday 11 February 2023

Mr. Bean - the cartoon

 So I have 2 new friends who live in the house next to Binnie and I.


Angela and her brother Shalom.  Both in primary school.

Monday through Friday they head off about 7 a.m. and get back around 1 p.m. or so.

Angela usually has some homework to do and her brother tends to get out her bike which he proceeds to ride in circles around the courtyard.

They like chatting and they help translate for me when there is an older person around.

Earlier in the week, after school, it was raining and so they and a friend were standing on the front stoep watching the rain.

Shalom then asked asked if they could come in and watch cartoons!

Like tv service in Canada I get about 70 channels on the dish.  News, sports, comedy, religion, movies and kid's programming.  Needless to say I jump over the dozen or kid's channels since I am not the slightest bit interested.

Anyway, the 3 kids made themselves comfortable on the sofa and then Shalom said 302, Mr. Bean.

302 being one of the kid's channels.

I tuned it in and watched for a minute for so.

The cartoon version of Mr. Bean.

They clearly watch it and had  a feel for the show.

I left them to it and went off to play on my computer.

It never fails to leave me a bit jaded about what tv shows get beamed to the world.  Is that the best we can offer the kids of Botswana?

Technology sure makes the world a much smaller place and we send images and stories around the world.    However, growing up here you sure get a westernized version of what constitutes success.   

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Video - inside the house

 Inside the House - Part 1 In the House - Part 2